9365
George I Silver Cup by Paul de Lamerie

Date: 1718

Maker: Paul De Lamerie

Country: England

Stock Number: 9365

Sold
An outstanding early antique silver cup and cover with acanthus leaf topped side handles. By the sought after Huguenot silversmith Paul de Lamerie. Britannia standard silver*. Lovely plain style, very large size and heavy weight. Excellent patina. To the front is an expansive and finely engraved armorial crest belonging to TREBY quartering Grange for the Rt Hon George Treby, MP. Weight 1996 grams, 64.1 troy ounces. Height 25.5cm (total), 17cm (cup only). Diameter of cup 14.7cm. Spread 26cm. London 1718. Maker Paul de Lamerie.

Literature: There is a similar cup and cover in the exhibition catalogue, Goldsmiths' Hall, "Paul De Lamerie at the sign of the Golden ball, an exhibition of England's master silversmiths (1688 – 1751)", May – June 1990, page 50. Lent by Her Majesty the Queen. There is another Lamerie cup bearing the Treby arms in the British Museum see link - https://artsandculture.google.com/asset/silver-gilt-cup-and-cover-and-a-sideboard-dish-by-paul-de-lamerie/rgGrGsL-Dh72sw
George Treby (II) (c. 1684 – 1742), was the son of Sir George Treby, an eminent Whig lawyer, politician and Speaker of the House of commons (1689 - 92). Educated at Exeter College, Oxford, he followed his father's footsteps into law, and as M.P. for Plympton Erle. George Treby (II) held other prominent positions in government, before he was turned out of office by Walpole's fall in February 1742, dying 8th March 1742. As one of the leading 18th century silversmiths, Paul De Lamerie was gathering important clients; Treby, the Earls of Warrington and many others. George Treby's early purchases from De Lamerie are fairly modest in their form, however, as Treby grew in status through his political career so did his confidence in his orders from De Lamerie, culminating in the toilet service for his wife, Charity Hele.

*Britannia Standard. In 1696, so extensive had become the melting and clipping of coinage that the silversmiths were forbidden to use the sterling standard for their wares, but had to use a new higher standard, 95.8 per cent. New hallmarks were ordered, "the figure of a woman commonly called Britannia" and the lion's head erased (torn off at the neck) replacing the lion passant and the leopard's head crowned. This continued until the old standard of 92.5 per cent was restored in 1720. Britannia standard silver still continues to be produced even today.

  • Free Worldwide Shipping
  • Fully Insured
  • 14 Day Return Policy
  • LAPADA Member

Would you like one of these or something similar?

Create an alert for similar product

Follow us on instagram