ADDED TO YOUR SHOPPING BASKET
Antique Silver Wine Jug
STOCK NUMBER: 8525
Maker: Hunt & Roskell
Stock Number: 8525
STOCK NUMBER: 8525
Maker: Hunt & Roskell
Stock Number: 8525
A fine antique sterling silver wine ewer of tall shapely vase form having a curved silver handle with acanthus leaf terminal. Plain style and elegant classical shape. Excellent quality and good gauge silver as you'd expect from this prestigious firm of silversmiths, previously known as Storr & Mortimer, the famous Paul Storr partnership. Gilt interior. Contains 1350 ml. Weight 810 grams, 25.1 troy ounces. Height 29.5 cms. Spread 12 cms. London 1874. Maker Hunt & Roskell (late Storr & Mortimer).
Hunt & Roskell was a renowned jewellers and silversmiths on Bond Street in London who for many years held the Royal Warrant of Queen Victoria. The firm was the successor to the celebrated silversmith Paul Storr who had left Rundell, Bridge & Rundell to set up his own workshop on Harrison Street near Clerkenwell in 1819. A couple of years later he went into partnership with John Mortimer and began trading from 13 New Bond Street as Storr & Mortimer. In 1826 they took an additional partner, John Samuel Hunt, who brought a welcome investment capital of £5,000 with him. The firm was increasingly successful and in 1838 they moved to new premises at 156 New Bond Street settling in just prior to the retirement of Paul Storr at the end of December that same year. This prompted a name change to Mortimer and Hunt which the business operated under from 1839 until 1843 when John Mortimer retired and the name changed one again, this time to Hunt & Roskell. At this time the partners were John Samuel Hunt, his son John Hunt, Robert Roskell Jn. (son of the respected pocket watch maker Robert Roskell from Liverpool) and Charles Frederick Hancock. The firm now entered a period of growth and prosperity. They were creating wonderful pieces of silverware from tea and coffee pots, salvers and candelabra through to presentation plates and cups as well as ornate and decorative table centre pieces. Their jewellery was equally impressive with diamond tiaras that converted into brooches and hair combs or perhaps a necklace, nestled in display cases next to bracelets set with oval portrait diamonds waiting to be fitted with a clients choice of miniatures. They exhibited at the Great Exhibition held in 1851 at the Crystal Palace in London’s Hyde Park where they were noted for the splendour of their display, reputedly worth a total of £100,000. By this time they had already been granted the Royal Warrant by Queen Victoria, an honour they reflected in their maker’s mark which they surmounted with a crown. Further exhibitions followed both at home and abroad including New York in 1853 and Paris in 1867. The visit to New York was not the first time the company had ventured State side however. In 1839 they had briefly established a branch in New York under the name Storr & Mortimer, however for reasons unclear it only operated for a couple of years, closing in 1841. By the 1860’s they were reported to be employing 35 people at the New Bond Street shop and a further 80-100 at the factory on Harrison Street. In addition to their full time employees they also worked in collaboration with a large number of additional craftspeople as well as retailing both jewellery and silver from other workshops such as that of Carlo Giuliano and Robert Hennell. The business continued prosperously and both Robert Roskell’s son Allan and John Hunt’s son John Mortimer Hunt joined their fathers in the firm. After the death of John Hunt in 1879, his son and the two Messrs Roskells continued in partnership until 1888 when Robert Roskell passed away leaving Allan Roskell and John Mortimer Hunt to run the business between them. The following year in 1889 the two men decided to dissolve their partnership and sell the business. It was acquired by J.W. Benson of Ludgate Hill who kept the name and continued trading under Hunt & Roskell until 1897 when it was converted into a limited company and styled Hunt & Roskell Ltd. which is how it remained until trading ceased towards the end of the 1960s.
This beautiful silver wine jug is in very good condition with no damage or restoration. Good colour. Stamped with a full set of clear English hallmarks. Slight wear to the gilding around the rim. One mini dink to the body.
Please note that this item is not new and will show moderate signs of wear commensurate with age. Reflections in the photograph may detract from the true representation of this item.
“waxantiques” is a family business run by husband and wife team Lou and Ann Wax.
Our shared interest in antiques led us to change career and start dealing in general antiques shortly after we married. We spent many happy years selling at the world famous Bermondsey antiques market and at the larger UK fairs. As the years progressed our interest became more focused on antique silverware and its domestic history and twenty five years ago we moved on to Camden Passage to open our specialist silver store “waxantiques”.
In 2018 we finally made our move to the London Silver Vaults.
Our website www.waxantiques.com launched in 2011 now accounts for a substantial and growing proportion of the business to the extent where Ann needs to concentrate on maintaining our online presence, while Lou is responsible for the day to day running of the shop and customer liaison.
We are fortunate indeed to have a career which allows us to handle such lovely items, many of which would not be out of place in a museum environment. Perhaps best of all is that it keeps us in contact with customers from all over the world, many of whom we count as good friends as well as colleagues.