8369. George III Silver Salver by Paul Storr - Price £3,550

Back

A handsome antique sterling silver salver with a broad shell and gadroon border and outspreading paw feet. Fantastic quality as you’d expect by this prestigious English master silversmith. To the centre there is a large hand engraved armorial bearing the Royal Coat of Arms superimposed by a prince or princess's coronet. Weight 862 grams, 27.7 troy ounces. Diameter 26 cms. Height 3 cms. London 1808. Maker Paul Storr.

Biography - Paul Storr (1771 – 1844), was one of the most talented silversmiths of the late Georgian period. Today his legacy of exceptionally well crafted silver can be found worldwide in museums and private collections. Son of Thomas Storr, a silver chaser, he was apprenticed in 1785 to Andrew Fogelberg. First mark entered as plateworker in partnership with William Frisbee in 1792.  Second mark alone 1793. 3rd mark 1793. 4th mark 1794. 5th mark 1799. Subsequent 6th - 12th marks entered 1807-1834.  By the beginning of the nineteenth century he had established himself as one of London’s top silversmiths producing, amongst others, commissions for Royalty. 

In 1801 he married Elizabeth Susanna Beyer with whom he was to have ten children. In 1807 Paul Storr entered into a working relationship with Philip Rundell and by 1811 was a partner, and managing the workshops for Rundell, Bridge & Rundell.

During this period he kept his own marks and separate workshop. However it was through Rundell, Bridge & Rundell who were appointed Goldsmith in Ordinary to George III in 1804 that his reputation as a master silversmith grew. His talents lay in being able to transform ideas and designs from Rundell, Bridge & Rundell’s designers, William Theed II, the chief modeller and head of the design department, and later John Flaxman II who succeeded him in 1817. During this period Rundell, Bridge & Rundell’s reputation grew due to the patronage of the Prince Regent (later George IV).

Storr left RUNDELL, BRIDGE & RUNDELL in 1819 and soon went into partnership with John Mortimer, the assistant of a retiring retail goldsmith and jeweller, WILLIAM GRAY, of 13 New Bond Street. The firm was renamed STORR & MORTIMER. Under their agreement, Storr concentrated on the manufacture of goods for Mortimer to sell in the shop at 13 New Bond Street. Storr and Mortimer, now manufacturing and retail goldsmiths, jewellers and silversmiths with an influential clientele, moved to 156, New Bond Street, in 1838.

Storr retired to Tooting in 1839 and died in 1844.

Condition - This imposing silver tray is in very good condition with no damage or restoration. Good weight. The silver marks are well stamped and clear. The borders are still crisp. There is some wear to the engraving.

Please note that this item is not new and will show moderate signs of wear commensurate with age. Reflections in the photograph may detract from the true representation of this item.

Literature - The Order of the Garter (the Royal Coat of Arms) is the highest order of chivalry. The motto “Honi Soit Qui Mal y Pense” means “Evil (or shame) be to him that evil thinks." In 1808 there were only 4 royal persons entitled to use this armorial together with the prince/princess's coronet. The provenance of this salver is unknown however it would have been commissioned by the original royal owner either for their own personal use, or as a presentation item, or it could even been part of a British ambassador’s suite of silver.

Back to top
Choose currency:

Please note: This is a guide conversion price only. Please check with dealer which currencies
are an acceptable form of payment.