9365. George I Silver Cup by Paul de Lamerie - Sold

Back

An outstanding early antique silver cup and cover with acanthus leaf topped side handles. By the sought after Huguenot silversmith Paul de Lamerie. Britannia standard silver*. Lovely plain style, very large size and heavy weight. Excellent patina. To the front is an expansive and finely engraved armorial crest belonging to TREBY quartering Grange for the Rt Hon George Treby, MP. Weight 1996 grams, 64.1 troy ounces. Height 25.5cm (total), 17cm (cup only). Diameter of cup 14.7cm. Spread 26cm. London 1718. Maker Paul de Lamerie.

Biography - Paul de Lamerie (9 April 1688–1 August 1751). The Victorian and Albert Museum describes him as the "greatest silversmith working in England in the 18th century".

Born in Bois-le-Duc, his French Huguenot family chose to follow William of Orange to England during the Glorious Revolution. In August 1703, de Lamerie became the apprentice to a London goldsmith of Huguenot origin, Pierre Platel (1659-1739). De Lamerie opened his own workshop in 1713 and was appointed goldsmith to George I in 1716. He worked in partnership with Ellis Gamble - formerly apprentice to Master William Hogarth- between 1723 and 1728. His early work is in the simple Queen Anne-styles, following classical French models, but de Lamerie is noted for his elaborate rococo style of the 1730s, particularly the richly-decorated works of an unidentified craftsman, the Maynard Master. Leaving his first premises in Great Windmill Street he moved to 40 Gerrard Street in 1738. Here he lived and probably had his shop, his workshops being located in one of the 48 properties he owned in the area.

His customers included Tsarinas Anna and Catherine, Count Aleksey, Sir Robert Walpole, Benjamin Mildmay (Earl Fitzwalter and Viscount Harwich), the Earl of Ilchester, the Earl of Thanet, Viscount Tyrconnell, the Duke of Bedford, and other members of the English aristocracy. He also worked for King George V of Portugal. One of his productions to the Portuguese Court was a huge solid silver bath tub lost in the great 1755 Lisbon earthquake. A two-handled silver cup and cover by Paul de Lamerie, dated 1720, was among the wedding gifts of Queen Elizabeth II.

Paul de Lamerie ranks as one of the stars of England’s finest period of silver. He was the most prolific silversmith of his time and his fame still lives on today.

Condition - This marvellous silver cup is in very good condition with no damage or restoration. Superb patina. Crisp engraving. Stamped with a full set of English silver hallmarks to the body and the rim of the cover; the Lamerie makers mark with a crown on the cover, the Lamerie makers mark without the crown on the body. This cup and cover has been fully authenticated.
Please note that this item is not new and will show moderate signs of wear commensurate with age. Reflections in the photograph may detract from the true representation of this item.

Literature - There is a similar cup and cover in the exhibition catalogue, Goldsmiths’ Hall, “Paul De Lamerie at the sign of the Golden ball, an exhibition of England’s master silversmiths (1688 – 1751)”, May – June 1990, page 50. Lent by Her Majesty the Queen. There is another Lamerie cup bearing the Treby arms in the British Museum see link - https://artsandculture.google.com/asset/silver-gilt-cup-and-cover-and-a-sideboard-dish-by-paul-de-lamerie/rgGrGsL-Dh72sw
George Treby (II) (c. 1684 – 1742), was the son of Sir George Treby, an eminent Whig lawyer, politician and Speaker of the House of commons (1689 - 92). Educated at Exeter College, Oxford, he followed his father's footsteps into law, and as M.P. for Plympton Erle. George Treby (II) held other prominent positions in government, before he was turned out of office by Walpole's fall in February 1742, dying 8th March 1742. As one of the leading 18th century silversmiths, Paul De Lamerie was gathering important clients; Treby, the Earls of Warrington and many others. George Treby's early purchases from De Lamerie are fairly modest in their form, however, as Treby grew in status through his political career so did his confidence in his orders from De Lamerie, culminating in the toilet service for his wife, Charity Hele.

*Britannia Standard. In 1696, so extensive had become the melting and clipping of coinage that the silversmiths were forbidden to use the sterling standard for their wares, but had to use a new higher standard, 95.8 per cent. New hallmarks were ordered, “the figure of a woman commonly called Britannia” and the lion’s head erased (torn off at the neck) replacing the lion passant and the leopard’s head crowned. This continued until the old standard of 92.5 per cent was restored in 1720. Britannia standard silver still continues to be produced even today.

Back to top
Choose currency:

Please note: This is a guide conversion price only. Please check with dealer which currencies
are an acceptable form of payment.